Answers available here.
Last name, First name
Year & Section
Problem Set: Linear Motion with Constant Acceleration (due on July 7, 2008 )
- A DC-8 airplane has a take-off velocity of 80 m/s, which it reaches 35 s after starting from rest. a) How much time does the airplane spend in going from 0 to 20 m/s? What distance does it cover in doing so? b.) How much time does the airplane spend in going from 60 to 80 m/s? What distance does it cover in doing so? c.) What is the minimum length of the runway?
- A car moving at 20 m/s slows down at -1.5 m/s² to a velocity of 10 m/s. How far did the car go during the slowdown?
- A car travelling at 35 mi/h is stopped in a distance of 2.5 ft when it hits a tree. a.) Calculate the average deceleration of the car. b.) Calculate the time needed to stop the car (assuming constant deceleration).
- A bus driver forgets to stop at a bus stop. Just as she passes the stop, she decelerates. Five seconds later, the bus is 80 m beyond the stop and has slowed down to 10 m/s. a.) Calculate the speed of the bus as it passed the bus stop. b.) What is the deceleration of the bus (assumed constant)?
- A truck moving at a constant speed of 20 m/s passes a car just as the car starts from rest with an acceleration of 2.0 m/s². How far does the car travel before it overtakes the truck?